We have added a new page to our website: VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES, found under About OCA. Check it out. You’ll find listings like this:
NEWSPAPER DELIVERERS: Three times a year — in March, June and September — help distribute our bilingual community newspaper, Nouvelles d’Overbrook News, to homes, centres, schools, organizations and businesses in Overbrook. You decide how many you can do. Streets needing deliverers: Telford, Dunbrack, Alesther, Sirois and Straby. Email email@example.com and we’ll contact you.
With Opening Night two short weeks away, it’s all hands on deck! Here are a few very specific needs. Please check it out and let us know if you can help. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Other requests to follow!
- 15 to 17 November, 6 to 9 pm
- 18 to 19 November, 10 am to 3 pm
- 20 November, 6 to 9 pm
Location: In Overbrook
Tasks: Based on set designer’s instructions, build and paint set; help transport set in sections to Ottawa Technical SS on Donald on Tuesday morning, 21 November.
Volunteers: 4 to 6 people with carpentry knowledge.
Equipment: Table saws (2); hammers, screwdrivers
Materials: Looking for donations of:
- 26 sheets 1/8 inch thick luan plywood sheets
- 80 8-foot lengths 1 x 3 inch lumber
- 1 package shingles
- 16 to 18 bags sand or cement blocks
- screws – 1-1/4 inch, 1-1/2 inch, 2 inch and 3 inch Robertson head
- latex paint in red, blue, yellow and green (can be left over)
- 50 L-brackets, 2 and 3 inch sizes
- Wooden kitchen table
- 2 kitchen chairs
- 1 other chair
- 2 rocking chairs
- 1 kitchen stool
- 1 walker
Timing: Deliver to Ottawa Technical SS, 485 Donald at 5 pm Wednesday, 22 November.
Do you have a large hatchback, van or truck? Could you spare a few hours (7:45 to 10 am) next Saturday morning (9 May) to pick up donations around the neighbourhood? Would you like to ride along and be a helper?
Then contact Wendy at email@example.com. You’ll have fun and help your community!
Fourth Annual Overbrook Community Garage Sale, Saturday, 10 May, 9 am to 2 pm, held throughout the community & at Overbrook Community Centre, 33 Quill
The weather forecast for Saturday is a balmy 18 degrees with no rain! Could we ask for more?
We are hoping you will join in this community event in a number of ways:
- Hold a sale at your home (we do all the advertising!)
- Rent a table at the Community Centre ($15 outside; $20 inside, email Joanne Lockyer at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Donate items to OCA (put small items marked “OCA” on your driveway/walkway before 8 am on Saturday for pickup)
To help make this day a success, we also need volunteers to work a few hours at the Community Centre. Please email Wendy at email@example.com if you can help:
- Set up and sales, 8 to 11 am
- Sales and BBQ, 11 am to 2 pm
- BBQ and Cleanup, 12 to 3 pm
- Donation pickup, vehicle drivers and helpers, 7:45 am to 10 pm
- Delivery of unsold items, vehicle and helpers, 2 to 3 pm
Whatever you decide to do, we hope you have a lovely spring day!