Come out to this great event in our neighbourhood! For more information, check out the Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/events/2683613455043873/ and view the posters below:
For close to forty years, Overbrook residents have volunteered with the Overbrook Community Association (OCA), and the neighbourhood has benefited from their activities.
The Association has influenced such matters as
- banning trucks on the Vanier Parkway
- developing an Overbrook Neighbourhood Planning Study (1978)
- advocating for developments in keeping with the neighbourhood
- pressuring for reforestation
- organizing spring and fall cleanups
- refurbishing Riverside Memorial and Lawson parks
- creating Overbrook Community Gardens
- reviving our community newspaper, Nouvelles d’Overbrook News
to name only a few.
There is still work to be done
- monitoring new developments
- settling the urban lane issue
- protecting heritage properties
- pressing for safer streets
- pushing for cycling networks
- organizing community fun days
Have you special talents and some time to help in the community? Here are some opportunities you might want to consider:
Book Nook co-ordinator:
The Book Nook, located in the lobby of the Overbrook Community Centre, needs someone who loves books and has time once a week to pop by the Centre to ensure the books are current and attractively displayed. We have a stock of books that need rotating through the seasons.
Community Events co-organizer:
For many years, the OCA has worked with the director of the Overbrook Community Centre and with the community developer of Rideau-Rockcliffe Community Resource Centre to organize two community events — “Carnival Overbrook” on Family Day and “Overbrook Community Day” on the last Saturday in August. The organizational template is in place; the job entails about three organizing meetings, gathering volunteers, and keeping track of finances.
A number of opportunities exist to help with this vital communications tool, from selling ads to delivering three times a year in March, June and September.
What is your passion? Ensuring development in keeping with the neighbourhood, preserving our heritage, working for safe streets, encouraging sustainability through growing our own food or cycling to work? There are opportunities for you to contribute.
With a strong “infrastructure” in place (constitution & bylaws, code of conduct, terms of reference for each committee) the OCA is looking for volunteers to join the team. This is a wonderful opportunity to work with a collaborative board to make a difference in our community.
To volunteer or to get more information, email Wendy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thursday, 19 June 2014 at Overbrook Community Centre
- 7:30 pm – Tour of Overbrook Community Gardens
- 8:00 pm – Presentations by Just Food Ottawa, Overbrook Community Gardens, Healthy Food Co-ordinator, Good Food Box, and Adopt-a-Planter Program
Learn about the movement to secure, healthy, local foods, along with a chance to adopt a colourful planter created by local youth.
Everyone welcome. For more information contact email@example.com.