After opening the first Community Assessment Centre on Friday in Ottawa, Ottawa Public Health (OPH) has announced there are at least 13 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa. This number shows us that there are likely more travel-related cases that have gone on to cause local transmission of the virus in Ottawa.
More importantly, OPH has stated the number of actual cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa could be higher than one thousand.
With this in mind, OPH has asked that all residents increase their practices of social distancing, and not go out for any non-essential reasons to reduce the spread of the virus. Social distancing includes, but is not limited to:
- Talk to your supervisor, manager, or employer about the possibility of working from home where possible.
- Avoid sending children to daycare, if you are able to.
- Avoid visits to Long-Term Care Homes, Retirement Homes, Supportive Housing, Hospices and other congregate care settings unless the visit is absolutely essential.
- Avoid non-essential trips in the community.
- If you have to go into the community for an essential trip via taxi or rideshare, be sure to keep the windows down.
- If possible, limit or consider cancelling group gatherings.
- If you have meetings planned, consider doing them virtually instead of in person.
- When possible, get fresh air outside but in settings where people can maintain a 1-2 metre (3-6 feet) distance from each other.
It takes all of us doing our part to limit the spread and the damage of COVID-19. While you may not feel sick, please be mindful of the members of our community who are more vulnerable to COVID-19 than others. We are all in this together.
If you can, donate to the Ottawa Food Bank, this is a period where the need is especially high https://www.ottawafoodbank.ca/donate/
Overbrook Community Association (OCA) Update
- All OCA events and meetings are cancelled until further notice
- Our newspaper will be published at the end of March, we are looking for volunteers to help deliver them. If interested, please reach out to email@example.com
- Rideau Rockcliffe Community Resource Centre has suspended all of their operations and services due to the fact that one of their staff is ill and had been in contact with all of their other staff. They are currently working on an alternate solution to the currently unavailable food bank.
- You can access the services of the Eastern Ottawa Community Resource Centre in the meantime – https://eorc-creo.communitysupportservices.ca/
- The Overbrook Community Centre and the St Laurent Complex are closed until further notice
- Join this online event – Choir!ntine: EPIC Social Distan-Sing-Along!: https://www.facebook.com/events/249447186075694/
- Acorn Canada advocates for eviction freeze, EI for everyone and more : https://acorncanada.org/take-action/urgent-action-eviction-freeze-rent-flexibility-ei-all-loan-payment-freeze?sp_ref=625609997.392.204574.f.0.2&fbclid=IwAR2hkvsDQrOB2UGxlO5FTPZDw6e1HVPBZqdGuGk1PEJLttZV5fWdRK42EWo
- Article on how the people of Hubei live through the quarantine : https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/write-a-diary-take-action-hubei-residents-on-fighting-coronavirus-anxiety?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Gmail
Find regular updates from Ottawa Public Health and information about Ottawa’s assessment centre here : https://www.ottawapublichealth.ca/en/public-health-topics/novel-coronavirus.aspx?utm_source=OPH&utm_medium=Home_Page_Banner&utm_campaign=Coronavirus&utm_content=Home_Page_Banner_OPH
Provincial and Federal Update
Service Canada has set up a SEPARATE phone line to contact them to set up EI claims for quarantine, illness, work closure, etc due to COVID-19.
They will not help you with anything else at this number.
Likewise, the main EI number cannot help you with COVID-19 claims.
The number is 1-833-381-2725.
There is over an hour average wait time to speak to someone at the main number, so please take some of the load off them and use the COVID-19 # if that is what you need to talk to them about.
They are waiving the 1 week waiting period for 2 week quarantines, so if you are affected, apply right away.
More information here : https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/corporate/notices/coronavirus.html
- Governement of Ontario COVID-19 information page : https://www.ontario.ca/page/2019-novel-coronavirus
- Government of Canada COVID-19 outbreak update: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html
- Government of Canada travel advisories: https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories