Many people are unaware that Rideau High School (RHS) is on the list for closure once again. Ottawa Carleton District School Board (OCDSB) senior staff have recommended that this school close for the second time in seven years. They are recommending that students be bussed out to Gloucester High School.
SAVE RIDEAU HIGH SCHOOL
ATTEND THE MEETING WHERE THIS WILL
BE DISCUSSED BY TRUSTEES
WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 15, 2017 AT 6PM
FREE BUSSES LEAVE FROM RIDEAU HIGH SCHOOL AT 5:30PM SHARP
MEETING LOCATION: 133 Greenbank Road, Ottawa
(go to the back of the building to the OCDSB main entrance)
Top 5 Reasons Why Rideau High School Should Stay Open
- The enrollment is actually expected to GROW at Rideau over the next several years. New development will continue in Vanierand surrounding communities. Closing it now would be short-sighted.
- This fantastic school serves the highest needs population in Ottawa, including 70 new Syrian Refugees. Bussing students up to 10km out of the community is not a good solution.
- The school operates daycares, Orkidstra music program, First Nation, Metis and Inuit programming, and community services, which will be dispersed when the school is sold.
- Senior School Board staff did not include any feeder schools in the study of the area. Many elementary schools will be negatively impacted by this closure.
- The number one argument staff are using to close this school is that these students can’t get access to the course offerings needed because of low enrollment. The solution to this problem is multi-faceted, including adding French Immersion to the school, strict transfer rules, and investing in teachers so that these courses can be offered, with small class sizes.
If you support keeping the school open, please take action:
- Write to School Board Trustees about your reasons for keeping this school open:
Chris.Ellis@OCDSB.ca (Trustee for Rideau), Shawn.Menard@OCDSB.ca, Lynn.Scott@OCDSB.ca, Donna.Blackburn@OCDSB.ca, Mark.Fisher@OCDSB.ca, Erica.Braunovan@OCDSB.ca, Sandra.Schwartz@OCDSB.ca, Theresa.Kavanagh@OCDSB.ca, Shirley.Seward@OCDSB.ca, Christine.Boothby@OCDSB.ca, Anita.Olsen.Harper@OCDSB.ca, Keith.Penny@OCDSB.ca.
- Attend the Board Meeting, Wednesday, February 15 at 6 pm
(133 Greenbank Road, parking at rear) where the issue will be
discussed by Trustees. You can sign up to speak by contacting
firstname.lastname@example.org at 613-596-8211 extension 8363.
Thank you for taking the time to read this,
School Board Trustee, Zone 9 – Capital/Rideau-Vanier wards
613-867-6772 | Shawn.email@example.com
For more information, please check out the ‘Save Rideau High’ Facebook page and go to http://www.ocdsb.ca and click on multi-year student learning and pupil accommodation planning.