Minutes October 21, 2010 – Unapproved

Community Council of Overbrook
Board Meeting, October 21, 2010
Unapproved Minutes

Ottawa Police Community Centre, 252 McArthur Avenue

ATTENDANCE: Executive Directors: President Sheila Perry; Vice-President Joanne Lockyer; Secretary Peter MacFarlane; Treasurer Micky Green;
Directors at large: Marc Daviault, Roy Hanna, Michelle Stephenson.
Members: Martine Joly, Denis Cech,Jim Hurd, Rosemarie MacFarlane, Anne Prowse, and Jean-Marie Leduc.
Non-voting members:

1. Joanne Lockyer opened the meeting at 7 p.m.

2. Joanne Lockyer motioned “The Agenda be followed as presented.” This was seconded by  Peter MacFarlane and carried.  

3. The Minutes of our meeting of 09.16.10 were reviewed. Roy Hanna motioned “The minutes of 09.16.10 be accepted as written.”  Martine Joly seconded, and the motion carried.

4. Business arising from these previous minutes:

         Micky Green has 2 outdated cheques from Chris Ellis for our website use ($183.75) and domain registration ($21.00) and noted that Chris made a donation to the CCO which more than covered these costs. He was seeking advice on how to proceed with these cheques, as well as how to deal with our website in the future. After some discussion, Micky offered to contact Chris, after the elections (Chris is running for a Trustee position), to see if new cheques could be issued. The website domain will be dealt with buy our new Board, and we must do so by January 31 or we could lose our domain name. It was noted that we still need a new webmaster and it was suggested that the local community colleges be approached for this.     ACTION:  ??

         It was also suggested that someone contact Chris Robinson, who expressed interest in promoting the CCO on the internet, to see if he would be interested in webmaster responsibilities. Sheila offered to pursue this contact, as well as another individual she had in mind that lives in the area and helped start up Ottawa Capital Freenet.                            ACTION: SHEILA PERRY

         The Fall Cleanup took place a week later than planned as the city’s materials were late in arriving.

         A few individuals and families cleaned up Overbrook Park and enjoyed some goodies from Tim Horton’s. Rosemarie MacFarlane has removed graffittii from several locations and mail boxes in the area. Thank you to all. Graffittii kits are available to anyone, and can be obtained from the Ottawa Police Community Centre at 252 McArthur Avenue. (very effective and easy to use)

         Our All Candidates’ Meeting was held on October 21. All 10 candidates reported, and there was a good public turnout.  A few Mayoral Candidates set up promotional tables. Joanne Lockyer was thanked for her organization of this event, along with the moderator Pat Ferris and his supporter Mary-Lou Cuillerier. Sheila Perry suggested a letter of thanks be sent to Pat and Mary-Lou, and Joanne offered to do this.                             ACTION: JOANNE LOCKYER

         A brief discussion ensued about our All Candidates’ meeting, and the one held by the Overbrook Forbes Community Resource Centre (OFCRC) which was sparsely attended. It was suggested that a link be set up early with the OFCRC to pool our resources for the next  municipal election. Peter MacFarlane noted that no one from the OFCRC sits on our CCO Board and that our Board meeting minutes are not sent to the OFCRC. It was suggested they be invited to join our Board and minutes be sent to them regularly. Sheila Perry offered to approach the OFCRC and work on building the bridges and get a contact for the reception of our minutes.           ACTION: SHEILA PERRY

5. Reports:

     Safety: Constable Marc Daviault reported that some arrests have been made in relation to vehicle break ins, and is expecting these occurrences to decrease. Theft Prevention Notices are available from Marc to place on any cars you see unlocked/open.

With regard to 92 Drouin, By-Law enforcement has been there and the City has performed some maintenance items that the owner will be charged for. Several people raised the concern of potential damage to adjoining properties from pressurized water in this building if it is unheated and unmonitored – the result will be a pool of water/ice that may damage surrounding buildings. Marc offered to contact By-Law enforcement to see how the City might turn off the water main outside 92 Drouin.                                         ACTION: Marc Daviault

255 Donald – Work is ongoing getting information and improving communication. Rosemarie MacFarlane felt it of utmost importance to have their meetings at the Ottawa Police Community Centre, 252 McArthur.

Mr. Leduc (978 Francis) brought forward the matter of speeding cars on Francis Street and specifically in relation to the school at 998 Francis St.  The worst times were reported to be from 8-9 a.m. and again at pick up time, 3 – 4:30 p.m. Several individuals suggested enforcement and Constable Marc Daviault said that his request has already been put into the system and enforcement will take place. He felt that this should be effective as there is a good location for radar, and people who get caught for speeding will pass on the enforcement and speeding issue to other parents at the school. In the event this problem continues, Peter MacFarlane made the following suggestions: letters from Mr. Leduc and/or the CCO to the school indicating the problem and requesting their support in the interest of student and community safety; a sign could be erected on the school property indicating a low speed limit;  a speed limit reduction for Francis Street (school zone); the zoning could be checked to see if there are limits as to the number of vehicles permitted on the property.

         Development & Heritage:  Lepine development on Presland – Jim Hurd pointed out that until the CCO has developed Heritage & Development aims and policies, we are in a disadvantaged position of being reactive rather than proactive. With this in mind, the Board still needs to approve the Heritage & Development Committee Terms of Reference. He noted that in the Lepine development (over 300 units), there is a proposed significant change in zoning from institutional to residential, as well as a proposal to have direct access to the Vanier Parkway. Someone pointed out that there are specific and different definitions for the Vanier Parkway in the City’s planning documents. Sheila suggested a study group be formed to educate themselves on this project with the aim of making a presentation to the City’s Planning & Environment Committee, which is the best place for a chance at input and changes to the proposal. Roy pointed out that while the development process requires consultation meetings of the developer and the public, any meetings (there have been two to date) held before the application process begins, do not count as consultation, as per the City’s guidelines. Time is an important element here, in that the public is asked to comment on the Lepine plans by late November.

Roy Hanna motioned: “A group be formed to investigate with the City planner basic information regarding: a) process; b) zoning options; and c) relevant planning criteria with respect to the Group Lepine application for a rezoning of the Sisters of Visitation site. This group (Scott Richardson, Jim Hurd, Anne Prowse, Martine Joly, Roy Hanna, and perhaps others) will report back to the CCO Executive on or before November 1, by e-mail. Based on this group’s investigation, a decision will be taken by the CCO Board as to whether to have a meeting of Overbrook residents on this matter prior to the AGM of November 18, 2010.” This motion was seconded by Sheila Perry, and was carried.

The above meeting was tentatively scheduled for November 10, Overbrook Community Centre, as Michelle Stephenson indicated the gym was free, and suggestions were made to invite Lepine’s contact, Melanie ____ , to this meeting, and to have a notice of this meeting, along with a notice of our AGM, go out through Wendy Dennys’s mail tree. Joanne Lockyer offered to confirm the meeting date and venue.                                  ACTION: Joanne Lockyer

It was pointed out by Roy Hanna and agreed to by Sheila Perry that we are not receiving all the information, mailings, plans, applications from the City that we should be. This should be looked into.

Sheila also pointed out that the City offers free “Process Primer courses” which covers the planning process within the City. She encouraged anyone interested, especially those on the Heritage & Development Committee, to seriously consider this free course.

In the CCO’S mail was an Application for a Minor Variance. The property owner at 965 Beaudry wants to put up a detached single car garage to replace an existing carport, and was seeking relief of a reduced side yard setback of 0.3m from the required 1.2m. No one raised any objections, and since this Application sought a single and minor adjustment, along with the fact that the surrounding community had several single detached garages, it was decided to send a letter to the Committee of Adjustments that the CCO had no objections to the Application. Peter MacFarlane offered to do this. Jim Hurd requested how the Board would decide on these requests. Peter responded: that the CCO prefers to comment on generalities  of development rather than on a specific property;  previous history and experience; and does any development fit in with existing buildings.                                                        ACTION: Peter MacFarlane

St. Laurent Shopping Centre expansion: As plans progress, we were reminded to make sure the owners upheld their commitments made in earlier public meetings: install a proper crosswalk for Overbrook residents to access to the Centre; proper sidewalks along the entire road modifications; express bike lanes all along Coventry; noise attenuation steps for Overbrook properties which will now be receiving road noise resulting from the re-routing of Coventry. Joanne Lockyer offered to track these.

Joanne Lockyer mentioned that on September 29, a public meeting was held on the Pedestrian walkway/bikeway over the Queensway, and was sparsely attended. Some options were presented and the most reasonable one was one that was less direct, going from the train station northwest to the baseball stadium, over the Queensway and the off ramp to the Vanier Parkway. This north section will have two ramps, one towards the Canadian Tire store and the other will finish close to the main front entrance to the ballpark. The exact connection on the south side is yet to be determined (train station and transit system to be considered). These options can be viewed on the City’s website.

Sheila Perry mentioned that there remain several protests against the Lansdowne project – both concerning content and process, and this includes a legal challenge. She invited everyone to check into the related websites for more info and input.

Michelle Stephenson reported that all is progressing well with the Community Centre construction. All the programs will continue after the Centre is closed down at the end of November.

6. Other Business:

AGM: This is being held on Thursday, November 18. Registration/membership renewal will begin at 6:30, with the business meeting beginning at 7. Notice of this meeting must go out to members at least 14 days before the event. This will likely be done through Wendy Dennys and her mailing tree. It has already been posted on our website. EMC will also be contacted about advertising the AGM on their community noticeboard.                                  ACTION: Peter MacFarlane

Peter will advertise this event by setting out our sandwich boards around the community. He will provide copies of last year’s AGM minutes, our Constitution, and CCO membership forms. He will also be taking the minutes of the AGM.

Volunteers are needed for:          a website co-ordinator

                                                        refreshments

                                                        membership renewal

                                                        the Board

Please contact Peter at (613) 744-0549 if you can help out .

The following Board members indicated they will remain on the Board: Mickey Green and Michelle Stephenson.  Peter & Rosemarie MacFarlane will be stepping down from the Board. Martine Joly has offered to serve on the Board. Peter and/or Sheila will be contacting current Board members not mentioned, to inquire as to their continued involvement. If anyone has an individual in mind for Board, Peter offered to contact these individuals for an invitation to join the Board. The CCO ‘s Board of Directors consists of 7-12 regular members, and four of these being Executive Officers: President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer.

Sewers: Roy Hanna informed us that new sewers are being planned for King George (at least in the area east of the vanier Parkway).

Wall mural: Rosemarie MacFarlane reported that her recommendation of an artist and a mural on the side of Dumouchel Meat Market (Donald & Lola) has resulted in a contract to do a full mural on the east side of the building.

                                                                                    Peter MacFarlane 10.26.10

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s